Friday, December 15, 2006

I got a fever!

And the only cure is MORE FUTBOL!

I really need go to a match right now! Been watching some great games on TV lately and it just fuels that passion to see some great futbol that only a real futbol fan can understand.

Ever since my discovery of the little gem that is La Barra Brava, I have realized that there is no other group on the planet like soccer (or futbol) fans. The only thing that compares in the United States is the clan that call themselves "NFL Fans" (which I proudly include myself in). But that is solely an "american" sport ... you can't travel the world to watch American Football games. But you can travel the world to watch the best futbol known to man.

Lately I have been drawn to the Argentine League. The just recently completed Apetura 2006 was one that will go down in the history books. In simple terms ... Boca choked ... and Estudiantes pulled off one of the greatest runs in history! I fancy myself a Boca fan and dream of one day taking in a match at La Bombonera, but that may be a tall order. In truth, I don't know much Spanish and I am a gringo. That would not help my cause in La Doce (la barra brave de boca). But maybe a seat in the less fervent sections would be possible.

For my next soccer journey ... I am starting the early planning stages of a trip to London in early March. We'll see how that goes ... money may be tight. I am intrigued at the possibilty of seeing two champions league round of 16 matches in the span of two days! If I can find a way to get a ticket to the Liverpool/Barcalona match that would definitely be the deciding factor on if the trip is worth it. Anyone got an ideas as to how to make that a reality???

For now, I am secluded to the couch to watch (and listen) what it is like to be part of a supporters group. I really can't wait for March when Olipmia travels to RFK for a quarterfinal matchup in the CONCACAF Cup. It will be the first gathering of DC United supporters of the new year and it should be an incredible atmosphere.

Hopefully I can pull off the coup and get Comcast to send me to Honduras for the opening leg!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home